12 March, 2023 - 16 March, 2023Book Course
17 April, 2023 - 21 April, 2023Book Course
5 June, 2023 - 9 June, 2023Book Course
17 July, 2023 - 21 July, 2023Book Course
Enquire About This CourseAsk us about this course and a course tutor will be in touch.
Enquire About This Course LocationAsk us about this course and a course tutor will be in touch.
Email This CourseSend this course to yourself or to a friend/colleague.
- Deepwater History and Industry Evolution
- Terminology of Deepwater, Influence of Deepwater
- Geology, Overburden, Compaction
- Worldwide Activity
- Deepwater Concerns, Effects of Water Depth, Shallow Gas, Hydrates
Video: Offshore exploration and production industry
Quiz-1: 15-min assessment of today’s lecture
- Offshore Drilling Procedures Overview
- Risk Management
- Drilling Hazard Management
- Seas and Weather Conditions
- Positioning the Drilling Unit
- Standard Equipment For Deepwater Operations
Video: Offshore drilling
Quiz-2: 15-min assessment of today’s lecture
- Deepwater Drilling Issues
- Well Design, Rig Selection
- Deepwater Well Control
- Bop Stack and Control System
- Subsea Drilling Equipment
- Marine Drilling Riser
- Blowout Contingency Plan, Relief Well
- Analysis of Macondo Well, Lessons Learned
Video: Macondo well analysis
Quiz-3: 15-min assessment of today’s lecture
- Deepwater Well Construction and Integrity
- Deepwater Drilling Procedures
- Challenges for Drilling Fluids, Choice, Problems, Mitigation
- Challenges for Cements and Cement Placement
- Casing Design
- Drill Bits, Choice, Issues, Optimization
Video: Fluids in Deepwater Exploration
Quiz-4: 15-min assessment of today’s lecture
- Deepwater Completion System Challenges, Open Hole, Cased Hole
- Intelligent Completions
- Deepwater Testing Challenges
- Design and Pressure Testing of Deepwater Equipment
- Advances in Deepwater Hardware and Operations
Video: Deepwater Novel Hardware
Final Quiz: 30-min assessment of course content
Deepwater Challenges Training Course
This short course covers drilling in the offshore and deepwater environment challenges. Types of rigs and rig moving practices are discussed along with drilling equipment and downhole tools. A geology overview is given together with wellbore stability and well design including casing design, drilling fluids and cementing. Well control and sub-sea BOP equipment are covered together with directional drilling and completion design. The Macondo accident is presented together with analysis, implications, and new tool development, procedures and regulations for offshore industry.
The goal of this course is to present deepwater exploration and development challenges and take the participants in the journey through the steps on how industry has evolved and how it meets them. Drilling challenges are covered and the selection of “fit for purpose” tools, equipment, people and processes, which are required to meet project objectives.
We will be discussing ways of identifying, preventing and mitigating deepwater operations, drilling hazards, risks, drilling problems, and project delivery issues as well as presenting lessons learned from several projects all over the world. Deepwater well control management techniques using the IADC guidelines and new regulations and tools now in place following post-Macondo developments will also be covered in detail.
Who Should Attend
Drilling supervisors, drilling superintendents, senior and junior drilling engineers, operators, drilling managers, and other interested disciplines requiring offshore knowledge.
Continuing Professional Development
35 HOURS CPD